Southeast Guilford Community Association - PO Box 112 - Pleasant Garden, NC 273131/31/2012

Home   About Us   FAQs   Photo Gallery   By Laws   Officers   Membership   Maps   Minutes  Links 


Southeast Guilford Community Association Meeting Minutes

 October 15, 2007   7:00 PM  at CIC Presbyterian

Action items are bolded

Attendees:  Lonnie Baxley, Harold Garrett, David Gearhart,  Aaron Harris, Sue McElroy, Denise Osborne, Dan Rogers, Darin Thomas, Susan Clawson, Rosemarie Williams, Bill Brannon, Nanette Riddle (new), Joe Andrews, Sal Judeh (Subway owner), Angela Burgess, Margie and Ben Cockman, Dan Rogers

Visitors: (all in the Food Lion project) Brantley and Kate Tillman of Commercial Properties (commprop2@intrex.net and commprop3@intrex.net), Walt Knight of Freman Real Estate (walt@fremancommercial.com)  Abdullah Alshanteer (Trinvest@northstate.net )

Minutes from September 27, 2007 were approved as submitted.

President Dave Gearhart presented Sal Judah with a plaque in thanks for bringing the first new business to the Southeast Guilford area (a Subway restaurant).

Vice President Darin Thomas introduced Brantley Tillman.  Brantley Tillman displayed drawings of the new Food Lion store design called the “urban footprint that is planned for the site on Woody Mill Road between Liberty Road and US 421.”  He showed pictures a similar store in Elizabeth City, NC.  The Food Lion would have 35,000 square feet.  There will also be another 9,600 square feet of additional retail space in the first phase of the project.  It will be called “The Shoppes at Forest Oaks.”  Brantley described the extra care going into the design and construction of the new shopping center.  Abdullah Alshanteer, the property owner has plans for additional retail space.  Brantley and Kate Tillman answered numerous questions from those present.  Dave Gearhart said there was interest from some existing local business in relocating into the new center when it becomes available.

All visitors including Sal Judeh left the meeting after these two presentations.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

By-laws (Angela Burgess, Denise Osborne, Sue McElroy, David Gearhart) –   Denise presented the by-laws.  The by-laws were approved.

Government Relations (David Gearhart, Darin Thomas, Rosemarie Williams, Dan Rogers):  No meetings/no report

Planning and “Issues” (Harold Garrett, Bob Chamberlin, Darin Thomas, Aaron Harris, Susan Clawson, Lloyd Dickerson):    

Darin gave general information about those who will facilitate the Alamance Creek Area land use planning sessions on  November 8 to be held at Alamance Presbyterian Church.  Margie agreed to contact all area churches to publicize the meeting. Nannette agreed to contact Greensboro News & Record to put a notice in the community events section of the paper.  Dan and/or Dave to send out document to describe the meeting.  Lonnie to post the document on our website.   Darin to find out about any plans for new sites for  elementary and middle schools for use on the planning maps. 

Dave led discussion about renaming the committee to “Planning Outreach and Emerging Issues.”  Dave was to ask Bob Chamberlin to be Chairman .   

It was also reported that Mike Winstead, Guilford County Commissioner desires to develop a residential project containing 300 homes on Southeast School Road across from the school.  Other possible projects were mentioned but there were few firm plans.

Aaron reported that he was concerned about the Stone Gables retail development.  He will invite Mark Swartz, the developer to a future meeting to share his plans.  Aaron reported that Angela’s Pizza (now in Climax shopping center) has signed a lease and plans to open another restaurant.  There may also be a hair dresser who owns “Choice Cuts” on Randleman Road who is planning to locate a shop in the center.

Finance (Rosemarie Williams, Lloyd Dickerson):  Rosemarie reported there is $1,600 in the treasury.  She requested that we publicize the need for donations on our website.  All members are expected to donate $25 as dues for 2007-2008.

Membership Committee (David Gearhart, Lloyd Dickerson, Margie Cockman):No report

Website (Lonnie Baxley, Dan Rogers, Angela Burgess, Bill Brannon, Joe Andrews): Lonnie continues to update minutes, agendas and maps at www.southeastguilford.org

OTHER REPORTS / MEETINGS: 

Next SGCA Advisory Committee meeting: October 27, 7 PM at Community in Christ, Presbyterian

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.                                       Dan Rogers, secretary