Southeast Guilford Community Association - PO Box 112 - Pleasant Garden, NC 273131/31/2012

Home   About Us   FAQs   Photo Gallery   By Laws   Officers   Membership   Maps   Minutes  Links 

Southeast Guilford Community Association Meeting Minutes

 May 14, 2009 7:00 PM  Alamance Presbyterian Church

Action items are bolded

Attendees:  Joe Andrews, Lonnie Baxley, Harold Garrett, David Gearhart, Aaron Harris, Sue McElroy, Dick Mearns, Denise Osborne,  Nan Riddle, Dan Rogers, Rosemarie Williams

Visitors: Kevin Bowers, Alamance Fire Chief  

 Dave Gearhart called the meeting to order.  The minutes from the April 9 meeting were read and approved.

 Fire Chief Kevin Bowers described the recent expansion of the fire department.  They purchased 4.1 acres of land for a new fire station in 2007.  They found an existing fire station plan and modified it to have 8 bays and 15,000 square feet.  There are 54 members of the staff (mostly volunteers).  They planned to borrow $3.4 million to build the station.  Low bid was 2.4 million.  This included all features that were desired.  The elevation will be level with Alamance Church Road (below grade with Presbyterian Road) due to some environmental concerns.  Plans for the old station are not firm but it could possibly be a community center.  The old site contains 6 acres.   The contract was awarded late January.  The projected completion date is January 11, 2010.  Chief Bowers also advocated residential sprinkler systems.      

 The treasury contains $540.82.  We recently paid the attorney $1,500 for our 501c3 filing.

 Sue McElroy reported for the Grant Writing Committee.  They attended the Building Stronger Neighborhoods orientation session.  There is doubt as to whether our grant application will be considered since we are outside the city limits.  The grant could help fund Alamance Park trails.   Joe Andrews also plans to send a letter to Congressman Coble’s office in Washington, DC asking for grant opportunities.  There is also another $2,000 grant being considered for funding sidewalk planning.  This one requires a one year commitment for one individual.  The group thought the dollar award was low for the likely amount of work required.    

 Denise reported for Marketing Committee.  SEGCA was covered in the last issue Southeast Lifestyles.  Dan Rogers requested that SEGBA (through Denise) appoint a member for our Commercial Development Planning Committee.   Denise reported that area businesses are supporting the Southeast Lifestyle with advertising.  

 Dan reported on the Commercial Development Planning Committee.  A Zoning Overlay Project scope document was sent to Professor Keith Debbage at UNCG as a possible thesis project for a Masters level intern.  Keith replied with an estimate of $7,500-10,000.  His original estimate was $3,500.  No action will be considered until after hearing the proposal from Greenschemes which could overlap significantly.  Dave reported on the Board Meeting with Greenschemes.  They have not yet presented their proposal.  The goal is a September community forum. 

 Dick Mearns reported that the PART survey that is now on our website.  Alamance Park trail is laid out and waiting for tractor work.  Billy Yow has given us the name of a person who may help us with grading and gravel or chips.  They met with S.E. Baptist with the idea of extending their trail.  This needs funding for the grading/clearing work.  Dick reported the Transportation Advisor Council will meet on June 25th to discuss what they will plan and funding for our requests.      

 Darin and Dave met with Bob Aughenbaugh, the original developer of Willow Bend.  He ownes104 acres that borders Willow Bend.  He would like to develop 230 homes with city water and sewer.  The city has said they will only support 2.5 homes/acre or more.  They asked for a June 10 rezoning meeting with the GC Planning Commission.  Lonnie will add this to our website.   Jason McElvey is a member of the Willow Bend Community Association.  There will be meeting next Thursday at 7 PM at CIC for the residents.

 Dave reported that it is time to elect officers.  The officers can serve two terms of 2 years.  Dave will appoint a nominating committee.   Nan and Joe agreed to serve.  Three others are needed.  Dan Donovan resigned from the Board. 

 The website has had 44,000 hits year       

Meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM

Next SEGCA Advisory Committee meeting June 11 2009 at, 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian

 Dan Rogers, Secretary