Southeast Guilford Community Association - PO Box 112 - Pleasant Garden, NC 273131/31/2012

Home   About Us   FAQs   Photo Gallery   By Laws   Officers   Membership   Maps   Minutes  Links 


Southeast Guilford Community Association Meeting Minutes

 June 11, 2009 7:00 PM Alamance Presbyterian Church

Action items are bolded

Attendees:  Joe Andrews, Lonnie Baxley, Bob Chamberlain, Harold Garrett, David Gearhart, Aaron Harris, Sue McElroy,  Denise Osborne,  Nan Riddle, Dan Rogers, Darin Thomas, Rosemarie Williams  Visitors: Nancy Jo Smith

Dave Gearhart called the meeting to order.  The minutes from the May 14 meeting were read, amended and approved.    

The treasury contains $540.82.  We recently paid the attorney $1,500 for our 501c3 filing fee. We owe our attorney $500 which is due after the 501c3 application is approved.  A discussion of a proposed budget followed.  There is a need of $2300 of additional fund raising.  The budget does not include any major projects.  Harold suggested that we sell pine needles as a fund raiser this fall.  Harold will follow up to see if this is feasible.  Dave Gearhart suggested that we raise the fee for Advisory Committee Membership to $50.  There are 16 of 28 people who have paid their dues.  There is no source for funding in the proposed budget for engaging Greenschemes or a UNCG Intern.  Dan suggested that larger projects like these not be included in the budget.   Motion was made and passed to increase dues to $50.00 for 2009. Rosemarie stated that she would like to send a revised budget along with a letter asking for dues payments from the committee members.  Darin suggested that we create a permanent fund raising committee.  The Board took the task and will report back.    

Sue McElroy reported for the Grant Writing Committee.  They plan to submit a grant request to Building Stronger Neighborhoods during June.  They are asking for $1,400 to support the trail construction at Alamance Park.  They met with Donna Newton who was extremely positive about the project.   The committee is taking an online course dealing with Grant Writing.  Joe sent a letter to Howard Coble’s office about possible grants.  Coble’s office responded with a list of websites.  There was $54 million in community grants given last year. 

Bob reported for the Marketing Committee.  Southeast Guilford will not be included in the Discover Triad publication.  The size of the publication and its staff has been reduced.  There was some discussion about the Guilford Record section of the Greensboro News & Record.  Nancy Jo Smith has a relationship with Cindy Lowman at the Greensboro News & Record.  The Pleasant Garden Post published their last paper on May 15.  Southeast Lifestyle is now printing 4,500 copies per issue.  Darin mentioned that our original goal to get included in these publications was established before Southeast Lifestyle was being published (may not be worth pursuing now).  There was some discussion about doing our own annual publication about the area.   Joe suggested a mass emailing to real estate professionals linking the SEGCA and the Southeast Lifestyle sites.  

Dan had no new info on the Commercial Development Planning.  He suggested that a meeting be arranged with Sandy Weathersby to discuss their interest in funding development standards.

Harold reported that there may be a bobcat available for clearing the trail and spreading the mulch.  Dave reported that the long term vision is to connect all the walking trails in the area.  A sewer easement creates a clear path to from Alamance Park to Alamance School.  Dick will make a presentation on June 26 at the Transportation Advisory Council. 

Darin reported on the two meetings with the Willow Bend Community.  Darin educated them on how to deal with the rezoning. The community leaders may not yet be ready to engage the developer.  The developer has delayed the rezoning hearing to either July or August.  Melissa Adams is emerging as the spokesperson for the Willow Bend Community.  Lonnie reported that Darin created an excellent survey. 

Dave asked for volunteers for the nominating committee.  Nan, Joe, Bob, Sue and Aaron agreed to serve and bring back nominations for officers at the next meeting

 Joe sent out an email alert about mail thefts.  One response asked for a local UPS or FedEx box.  There is some interest in opening a UPS Store in Forest Oaks Commons.               

Meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM

Next SEGCA Advisory Committee meeting July 9 2009 at, 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian

Dan Rogers, Secretary