January 13, 2011 7:00 PM Alamance Presbyterian
Members Present: Tom Ammeter, Lonnie Baxley, Bob Chamberlain, Harold Garrett, Aaron Harris, Mike Johnston, Jean King, Sue McElroy, Jennie McNamara, Dick Mearns, Chuck Meyer, Denise Osborne, Nanette Riddle, Dan Rogers, Rosemarie Williams
Visitors Present: Haywood Stukes
Agenda Topics/discussion items:
1. Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from 12/09/2010.
2. Rosemarie Williams reported SEGCA checking balance is $983.68. There are no bills outstanding.
3. Nanette reported on preparations from 2011 Funfest. Oct 8th was chosen as the date. Meetings will begin in February. Need committee members. Nan offered to allow someone else to assume the position chairing the committee. Rosemarie offered to attend the first meeting to explain the financial report from 2010. Bob reported that even though the crowd size doubled we only netted around $1,000 more in profit. Expenses were much higher. Bob thinks that fund raising needs to be a priority to ensure the financial success of the 2011 Funfest. Charging for parking in 2011 was discussed but no decision was made.
4. Dan Rogers reported on the SE Area Elementary School Bond project. Dan and Linda Welborn spoke at the Guilford County Commissioners meeting earlier in the evening. They spoke in favor of completing the 3 projects underway and in opposition to purchasing the Stewart Mill Road site for the fourth school bond project not yet started.
5. Dan reported that the Liberty Road/Woody Mill Road small area plan approval meeting with the Guilford County Planning Board had been postponed until February 9th due to bad weather.
6. Aaron reported on the Forest Oaks Shopping Center cleanup effort. The owner, Agapion has cleaned up the site. Cameras were installed which helped to identify two people for prosecution by the GC Sherriff’s department. Barricades will be installed to block off dump sites. There was some discussion about moving the cash machine to another location.
7. Aaron reported that a temporary traffic light will be installed at Hagan Stone and Liberty Road because of the detour that will occur when Woody Mill Road (between Liberty Road and US-421) is closed for construction of the US421 overpass beginning in February.
8. Dick Mearns reported the Alamance Park Trail has been completed except for signage. Bike lanes in the SE area are still contingent on future paving projects. The open space project is still moving. PART busses are not being supported well since service came to the SE area. Dick resigned as Trails committee chair but suggested that Aaron could fill his position.
9. Bob reported that the executive committee has appointed Tom Ammeter as interim VP. The election of all officers will be in September, 2011.
10. Bob challenged the group to create a membership drive/committee in 2011.
11. Bob asked Chuck Meyers to work on a list of speakers for future meetings in 2011.
12. Bob challenged the group to consider creating a strategic plan for the organization in 2011.
13. A dinner honoring Dave Gearhart will be held on January 20th at 6 PM in the member’s dining room at FOCC. Spouses are invited. Bob asked Dan to lead the affair.
1. Minutes from 12/09/2010 were amended and approved.
2. Aaron Harris was elected committee chairperson for the Trails Committee
Assignments / Follow up items:
1. Bob to ask for report from Dave Gearhart about the Forest Oaks Estates
2. Dan will print copies of the roster for the next meeting and also email
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM
Next SEGCA Meeting – February 10th at 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian Church
Dan Rogers, Secretary