February 11, 2011 7:00 PM Alamance Presbyterian
Members Present: Tom Ammeter, Lonnie Baxley, Bob Chamberlain, Raymond Clapp, Harold Garrett, Aaron Harris, Mike Johnston, Jean King, Jeffrey Knotts, Jennie and Kelly McNamara, Chuck Meyer, Denise Osborne, Nanette Riddle, Dan Rogers,
Visitors Present: Danny Halsey, Bill Thomas, Buddy Leasure
Agenda Topics/discussion items:
1. Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from 1/13/2010.
2. Bob reported SEGCA checking balance is $1,033.68. There are no bills outstanding.
3. Bob and Harold reported on the water and sewer problem for Forest Oaks estates. There has been a promise of W&S since from Guilford County/Greensboro since 2004. Dave Gearhart is seeking a legal opinion. Don Vaughn has also been consulted.
4. Lonnie reported on geocaching. A map of geocaching sites in the area was distributed. Danny Halsey mentioned www.geocaching.com. He also discussed the phenomenon of geocaching. The idea of introducing trails in the area using geocaching was proposed.
5. Dan Rogers reported on the SE Elementary School Bond project. Dan and Linda Welborn spoke at the Guilford County Commissioners meeting on 2/11/2011. BOE is still proposing a site in McLeansville.
6. Dan reported that the Liberty Road/Woody Mill Road small area plan. Plan was approved by the Guilford County Planning Board February 9th.. Dan, Lonnie and others spoke in favor of the plan. Plan will be presented to the Commissioners on March 17th.
7. Aaron reported that the temporary traffic light will be turned on at Hagan Stone and Liberty Road. Woody Mill Road (between Liberty Road and US-421) will be closed for construction of the US-421 on 2/22/2011. The interchange project expected completion date is 9/20/12.
8. Jean King has agreed to lead the membership drive effort for 2011.
9. Denise Osborne announced that 4200 people have been notified about the spirit of community award. The awards will include individuals, businesses and churches. There will be a banquet at Forest Oaks Country Club on 4/29/2011 with speaker Jeanne Robertson. Tables of 8 reserved by 3/28 will get front row seats and a DVD for $240. Nominations and payments can be placed on the SE Life Style website.
10. Aaron reported on new businesses in the area. Backyard Leasure, Yo-yo’s, Creative NRG, and Kid Village and Athens Pizzeria and others have opened or are making plans to open.
11. Bob announced that the March 10th meeting will be at SEHS at 6:30 and include a tour of the new facility. Charles Blanchard will talk about improving the schools. Bob would like questions that he can forward to Charles to include in his talk. The normal meeting will be held in a classroom.
12. Bob discussed the idea of setting up a Facebook site for SEGCA. Jennie volunteered to set up a trial site. Some discussion of using this as a recruiting tool. Mike Johnson and Jean King agreed to help.
13. Greensboro Regional Realtors Association has chosen FOCC as the site of their annual golf tournament. More info to follow.
1. Minutes from 1/13/2010 were approved.
2. Motion approved to allow Jeannie to set up a Facebook site. Marty Heim has agreed to help move data between our website and our Facebook site.
Assignments / Follow up items:
1. More info on GRRA
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM
Next SEGCA Meeting – March 10th at 7 PM at Southeast House School
Dan Rogers, Secretary