April 14, 2011 6:30 PM Alamance Presbyterian Church
Members Present (13): Tom Ammeter, Lonnie Baxley, Bob Chamberlain, Harold Garrett, Aaron Harris, Sue McElroy, Jennie and Kelly McNamara, Denise Osborne, Nanette Riddle, Dan Rogers, Bill Thomas, Rosemarie Williams
Visitors Present (0): none
Agenda Topics/discussion items:
1. Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from 03/10/2011.
2. Rosemarie reported SEGCA checking balance is $1,615.
3. Jennie reported that SEGCA has been assigned a table at the green of 18th hole for the GRRA golf tournament on May 23rd. The idea is to make realtors aware of our area, our organization and the Funfest. A committee was formed that included Kelly, Bob, Nanette and Bill to plan our actions related to this. There was discussion about the need for a large sign bearing the name of our organization.
4. Jennie reported on our new Facebook site. She has not yet met with Jean King, Mike Johnston and Lonnie about building a prototype.
5. Bob reporting on the idea of a geocaching pilot event with training at Hagan-Stone Park. There was little interest in pursuing an event.
6. Harold reported on the Forest Oaks Estates water/sewer problems. Harold and Dave Gearhart both spoke at the last County Commissioners meeting. Harold plans to email the county commissioners and try and get a response. Betty Garrett from GC Planning is supposed to follow up. The city has recommended that the county pay for the project with some two thirds bonds that were issued some time ago.
7. Nan reported on Funfest which will be held on October 8th from 11 AM to5 PM. A planning meeting was held last night. Work is well underway.
8. Dan Rogers reported on the SE Elementary School Bond project. No site has yet been proposed by Guilford County
9. Dan reported on the Liberty Road/Woody Mill Road small area plan. Plan was approved by the Guilford County Commissioners on March 17th. Work is proceeding on the zoning overlay ordinances. Dan also reported that the Woody Mill Road overpass landscaping. Dan plans to call the small area plan committee to meet and consider naming the bridge and engaging DOT to do an excellent landscaping job since this is the gateway to our community and to our business district.
10. Tom discussed fundraising ideas. A spaghetti dinner, a wine tasting and downtown restaurant sampler were discussed.
11. Aaron reported on new businesses. Pick-It-Up has opened at 5503 Chapparal Drive selling coffee, biscuits, cookies, sandwiches, ice cream. Open daily 6-6 and late till midnight on Saturday. Yo-Yo’s is a new yogurt shop in Food Lion shopping center and is open 7 days/week. The Bella Mia Italian restaurant in Food Lion shopping center will open this summer. The owner of Bella Mia has several restaurants throughout NC.
1. Minutes and treasurers report were approved.
2. Motion approved to table planning a geocaching event.
Assignments / Follow up items:
1. Jeannie to get more info on GRRA
Meeting adjourned at 8:28 PM
Next SEGCA Meeting – May 12th at 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian Church
Dan Rogers, Secretary