May 12, 2011 6:30 PM Alamance Presbyterian Church
Members Present (10): Tom Ammeter, Joe Andrews, Harold Garrett, Dave Gearhart, Aaron Harris, Jeffrey Knotts, Nanette Riddle, Dan Rogers, Bill Thomas, Rosemarie Williams
Visitors Present (0): none
Agenda Topics/discussion items:
1. Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from 04/14/2011.
2. Rosemarie reported SEGCA checking balance is $1,520.97.
3. Dave reported on the SEG Foundation. Marty and Denise have joined as board members. He discussed the brochure that is being created to be used for targeted fundraising for endowments.
4. Joe Andrews reported on his PhD internship in Leadership Studies. He proposed that he interview people in our two organizations and write a paper about the how the organizations have thrived.
5. Nan reported on Funfest which will be held on October 8th from 11 AM to 5 PM. Another planning meeting was held on 5/11/2011. Work is well underway. Manpower and money are both needed. Tom also emphasized that we need to prepare and assign our volunteer staff for Funfest. Chili judges will be chosen from ordinary people who like chili (rather than dining/food experts).
6. Tom reported that SEGCA will be manning a table at the green of 18th hole for the GRRA golf tournament on May 23rd. The idea is to make realtors aware of our area, our organization and the Funfest. A committee was formed that included Kelly, Bob, Nanette and Bill to plan our actions related to this. A large sign bearing the name of our organization has been purchased. Info on FOCC and SE Lifestyle will be included in the materials. The group will wear funfest T-Shirts.
7. Tom reported on the SEHS scholarship that we are awarding. Six students have applied.
8. Tom reported on the D&O insurance. The premium of $800 will cover both the Foundation and Assoc.
9. Harold reported on the Forest Oaks Estates water/sewer problems. Harold attended some budget meetings. Kirk Perkins suggested that we contact Betty Garret. Dave Gearhart also emailed Betty. Both FO Estates and Lynwood Lakes are included in the discussion. There are both political and legal issues.
10. Dan reported on the Liberty Road/Hagan Stone Park intersection. Stop bar has been moved beyond the CIC Presbyterian entrance and the traffic pattern has improved.
11. Tom discussed fundraising ideas. A coupon for a takeout dinner at Outback was discussed was discussed. Sherri Burris did this and made several thousand dollars. FOCC and Four Winds were mentioned as possibilities. McDonald’s has been known to do pancake breakfasts/dinners as fundraisers for nonprofit organizations
12. Aaron reported on vandalism at FO Shopping Center. GC has not yet decided to condemn the property.
13. Aaron reported on a new business that may open on Alamance Church Road. A gas station/restaurant is being proposed on a 1.61 acre track at the dead-end of Wiley-Lewis Road beside I-85.
14. Tom reported that an officer nominating committee has been chosen. The members are Tom, Dan Jeffrey, Jean, and Harold.
1. Minutes from la meeting were approved.
2. Treasurer’s report was approved.
3. Motion approved to accept Joe Andrews’ proposal to study SEGCA and SEGF and write a paper.
Assignments / Follow up items:
1. Dan to create a sheet with info about school construction in our area to use at the realtors golf tournament.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM
Next SEGCA Meeting – June 9th at 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian Church
Dan Rogers, Secretary