June 9, 2011 7:00 PM Alamance Presbyterian Church
Members Present (12): Tom Ammeter, Lonnie Baxley, Harold Garrett, Aaron Harris, Mike Johnston, Jean King, Jeffrey Knotts, Dick Mearns, Chuck Meyer, Denise Osborne, Dan Rogers, Nanette Turner
Visitors Present (1): David Michaels
Agenda Topics/discussion items:
1. Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from 05/12/2011.
2. Tom reported SEGCA checking balance is $1,103.97.
3. Mike Johnston reported that SEGCA now has a Facebook page. All members were asked to “like” the account to start activity. The page can be found with “SE Guilford” in the search area on Facebook.
4. Tom reported on the SEGC Foundation. A brochure and a cover letter have been created to be used for targeted fundraising for both an endowment and the Funfest.
5. Nan reported on Funfest which will be held on October 8th from 11 AM to 5 PM. Another planning meeting was held on 06/1/2011. Manpower and money are both needed. SE Lifestyle will be providing media support. Haganstone Park will be charging $1 for parking this year.
6. Jean and Jeffrey reported on the GRRA golf tournament on May 23rd. Bags of info about SEGC and area organizations were passed to all participants. There were over 100 realtors present. The idea was to make realtors aware of our area, our organization and the Funfest.
7. Tom reported that our community service scholarship was awarded to Brittany Price. She will be attending Western Carolina. Brittany did over 150 hours of community service. There were 8 applicants.
8. Harold reported on the Forest Oaks Estates water/sewer problems. Both FO Estates and Lynwood Lakes are included. The county commissioners have been unavailable due to budget meetings.
9. Dan reported on the Liberty Road/Hagan Stone Park intersection. Stop bar has been moved beyond the CIC Presbyterian entrance and the traffic pattern has improved. Waiting for zoning ordinances from GC Planning Department.
10. Nan discussed fundraising ideas. She and Tom visited a wine tasting festival at Tanglewood Park that included 3 bands and wine. Admission was $25. David mentioned serving at a Grasshoppers game or at the coliseum concessions area.
11. Tom reported that an officer nominating committee will meet later tonight. The members are Tom, Dan Jeffrey, Jean, and Harold.
12. Lonnie reported that the Piedmont Triad area has received a 1.6 MM grant from the Federal Government. PART prepared the application and Mark Kirstner (PART employee) will lead the effort. www.TriadSustainability.org is the website. They want to present case studies of communities that have great things already happening including implementing plans to grow. Lonnie suggested that we collaborate with this group. Lonnie agreed to represent SEGCA.
13. Denise reported that on July 17th there will be a community wide block party from 3-6 PM at PG Baptist Church. There will be free food and live music.
14. Aaron reported on Trails. Support is needed to extend the trail at SE Baptist Church. They are building soccer fields in the area. They have agreed to do the trail maintenance. Tom suggested that ask Dave Dofflemeyer (PG Baptist Building and Grounds) and/or Dick take this to SEG Foundation for funding this project after obtaining an estimate.
1. Minutes from last meeting were approved.
Assignments / Follow up items:
Meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM
Next SEGCA Meeting – July 14th at 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian Church
Dan Rogers, Secretary