July 14, 2011 7:00 PM Alamance Presbyterian Church
Members Present (14): Tom Ammeter, Joe Andrews, Lonnie Baxley, Bob Chamberlain, David Gearhart, Aaron Harris, Mike Johnston, Jean King, Tom McKinney, Chuck Meyer, Denise Osborne, Dan Rogers, Nanette Turner, Bill Thomas
Visitors Present (4): David Michaels, Trevor Nuttall (Guilford County Planning), Tom and Bobbi Black
Agenda Topics/discussion items:
1. Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from 06/09/2011.
2. Bob reported SEGCA checking balance is $1,103.97.
3. Joe reported about his PhD research study on our organization. He passed out a consent form. There were no objections.
4. Trevor reported on the Liberty Road/Woody Mill Road Small Area Plan ordinances. He reviewed the possible schedule of implementation. He answered several questions from those in attendance.
5. Mike Johnston reported on the new SEGCA Facebook page. One article had been read 80 times. Mike suggested that a team be formed to recommend how page should evolve. He suggested that we should try and find someone who has experience with constructing a Facebook page. Lonnie suggested that we explore how to integrate the page with our website. Kim Novosad’s business is building Facebook pages for businesses. Dan and Mike agreed to contact Kim.
6. Bob and Dave reported on school redistricting. Public hearings will be begin in August. Dave talked with our school Board member Paul Daniels and reported the Board is pursuing an option to purchase a piece of property on Lee Street at the intersection of Causey Lake Road. A public release of new school attendance zones and new Board of Education voting districts may be published soon.
7. Nan reported on Funfest which will be held on October 8th from 11 AM to 5 PM. Cindy Farmer will be Emcee again. The Blenders will provide music. Copper Top will provide pony rides, even for special needs children. Haganstone Park will be charging $1 for parking this year. There will be a $1 charge for the children’s area which will include pony rides and inflatables. Manpower and sponsors are both needed. Community groups will be able to have booths this year. SE Lifestyle will be providing media support.
8. Bob suggested that we pursue fundraising by serving concessions at Hoppers game or at a Greensboro Coliseum event. Tom and David agreed to head up the effort.
9. Aaron reported on the road improvements needed near Alamance Elementary School. New lanes and new turn signals will be constructed. Purchase of right-of-way may begin later this year.
10. Lonnie reported on Triad Sustainability regional planning project. He has updated our website to include all strategic of all alliances in our area. www.TriadSustainability.org is the website. Lonnie is a member of the Economic workforce committee and is representing SEGCA .
11. Nancy Joe smith reported that a five mile section Highway 62 will be dedicated to Edward R Murrow on October 2nd.
12. Denise reported that on July 17th there will be a community wide block party from 3-6 PM at PG Baptist Church. There will be free food and live music.
1. Minutes from last meeting were amended and approved.
2. Lonnie’s alliance addition to the SEGCA website was approved
Assignments / Follow up items:
1. Dan and Mike agreed to contact Kim about leading our Facebook effort
2. David and Tom agreed to head up a fundraising effort serving concessions at a sporting event.
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM
Next SEGCA Meeting – August 11th at 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian Church
Dan Rogers, Secretary