Southeast Guilford Community Association - PO Box 112 - Pleasant Garden, NC 273131/31/2012

Home   About Us   FAQs   Photo Gallery   By Laws   Officers   Membership   Maps   Minutes  Links 


Southeast Guilford Community Association Meeting Minutes

August 11, 2011 7:00 PM Alamance Presbyterian Church

Members Present (17):  Tom Ammeter, Joe Andrews, Lonnie Baxley, Bob Chamberlain, Harold Garrett,  Aaron Harris,  Mike Johnston, Jean King, Jeffrey Knotts, Sue McElroy, Jeanie McNamara, Chuck Meyer, David Michaels,

Denise Osborne, Dan Rogers, Bill Thomas, Nanette Turner         Visitors Present (0):   

Agenda Topics/discussion items:

1.      Dan Rogers submitted secretary’s minutes from July 14, 2011.   

2.      Bob reported SEGCA checking balance is $1,153.97.

3.      Bob reported that David Michaels has joined SEGCA as an advisory member.

4.      Joe reported about his PhD research study on our organization.  He has finished his classroom work for the internship.  He wants to interview 4-5 more people in SEGCA to continue to write an article that describes the success of our organization.  He also wants to write an article for Southeast Lifestyle.

5.      Dan reported on the new SEGCA Facebook page.   Kim Novosad’s business is building Facebook pages for businesses.  Dan has initiated contact Kim and is awaiting her reply.

6.      David reported on fundraising by serving concessions at Hoppers game.  This requires 10-12 people.  All dates in August have been taken.  We will initiate this idea again in February 2012.

7.      Bob reported on school redistricting.  School Board districts will be changing.  On August 30th there will be a public forum at Grimsley High School.  Nothing new has been published about the possible site for the SE area elementary school on Lee Street at the intersection of Causey Lake Road.  A public release of new school attendance zones and new Board of Education voting districts may be published soon.  

8.      Nan reported on Funfest which will be held on October 8th.  Cindy Farmer will be Emcee.   Nan went to SEBA meeting and encouraged participation in the event.  Community groups will be able to have booths this year.  On August 31, there will be a meeting including some of the volunteers.   Nan asked for volunteer commitment from all members.  Mike will coordinate the volunteers. Dan agreed to run a tent promoting SEGCA and SEGF.    Bob reported that a flyer is being posted in many places in SEGC.

9.      Bob reported that we need to renew the web site hosting service.   

10.  Tom reported for the nominating committee (Tom, Jeffrey, Jean, Dan and Harold).  The nominees are:

Denise Osborne

President and Board Member

Tom Ammeter

Vice President and Board Member

Jeffrey Knotts

Secretary and Board Member

Dan Rogers

Treasurer and Board Member

Bob Chamberlain

Past President and Board Member 

Mike Johnston, Jean King, Nanette Tuner

Board Member

The vote will be held at the September meeting.  Tom will email the nominees to all members.

11.  Bob reported that a new Nationwide Insurance Office is opening in the Food Lion Shopping Center.  Curves is closing on September 16th. 

12.  Lonnie reported that the SEGCA website activity has decreased during the last few months.

Motions Approved:

1.      Minutes from last meeting were amended and approved.

2.      Renew web hosting service for one year at a price of $139.

Assignments / Follow up items:

1.      Dan and Mike agreed to contact Kim about leading our Facebook effort

Meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM

Next SEGCA Meeting – September 8th at 7 PM at Alamance Presbyterian Church

Dan Rogers, Secretary